Friday 10 March 2017

Cabled Cushion Cover




Cable Pattern
Cable Knit

For Mothers' Day I have made my Mom a custom Cabled Cushion Cover by Angela Chick and the pattern can easily be found for free on Ravelry.

I was amazed at how quickly this project flew off my needles. It has a simple 20 row repeat that you can soon memorize and you only need to make two pieces before sewing them together.

The needles that I'm using were handed down to me by my Grandma so I'm afraid I don't have a name for the manufacturer but they are in a US size 11 or 8.0 mm gauge. 
First half of the cushion front

The yarn I chose was James Brett's Marbled Chunky Yarn which I still have plenty of left over. I used approximately 1/2 of the skein so I will look at using the rest in either a blanket or making some wash clothes out of.

Blocking
You can see in the photo above that the two halves of the cushion cover are different sizes, this is so that when you put it together it will create a "lip" to close up the cushion with the buttons (see below). 
I definitely needed to block the two pieces as the edges were curling in on themselves due to the stockinette edging. This is a common problem with these types of pieces however, blocking them certainly got the job done. 

When it came to actually getting the pieces blocked I decided to take a risk and pop them into the washing machine on a delicate wool hand wash setting as I didn't really have the time to do it by hand. I'm so glad that I made the decision with this wool because by the time it came out of the washing machine it had already stretched and relaxed a little which made pinning the pieces to my sofa so much easier. I left the two pieces there to dry overnight and then the next day I sew them together and added some buttons.
Finished but not stuffed
I decided not to provide a cushion casing for this project as my Mom already has plenty of cushions she can swap around. However, in the future if I want to give a cushion I would whip up (in some cotton fabric) an internal case for the cushion to live in and then stuff that with polyester toy stuffing that I got from my local yarn shop.

Where Can I Learn To Knit?

I have recently published an article about learning the basics and included an easy pattern for you to get started with. Simply visit Learn To Knit and get your yarn on!